Monday, July 25, 2011

Tears In Heaven?

Of late I have been preaching through the N.T. book of Revelation on Sunday mornings during our contemporary service. Yesterday the text was chapters 4-5, where the scene of John's second vision includes the heavenly realm just before the opening of the seven-sealed scroll and the unleashing of havoc that occurs on the earthly empire that was Rome. 


(stay with me now, I'm heading somewhere)



Anyway, there is a moment in this vision (chapter five) when the question resounds, 
"Who is worthy to take the book and open the seals?"  
The text answers:
But no one in heaven or on earth or under the earth was able to open the scroll and read it. Then I wept because no one could be found who was worthy to open the scroll and read it.  
I was struck by the revelation that there were tears in heaven, and I began to think about this heavenly moment as a metaphor for our own present experience which also includes such a time of weeping. In fact, our times seems to call for continuous weeping...


The Power and the Glamour

At Least 80 Dead in Norway Shooting

Amy Winehouse death


We live in the time for tears; we live in the time of fractured relationships (as I was writing this line I was interrupted by a young man I know who is estranged from his family and sleeping in his car), abused little children, abject poverty, exploited women, and spiritual angst.

But there is coming a day -- and this we must hold tightly -- when the tears of the human condition will be give way. This is the blessed hope...